Custom Search
Your Ad Here

Drive Your Car

Did You Ever Change Oil in an Old Vw Bug?

This old 1964 classic car was primer gray with a black driver's door and if you wanted to turn off the heat you had to go under the car and remove a flexible duct to stop the inflow because the controls inside the car were broken.

This classic car was quirky to the max!

I had a book that was popular to a certain extent in it's day written by John Muir - Volkswagen Guru called "How to keep your Volkswagen Alive - A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot". That fit me pretty good because I was certainly close to a compleat idiot. Gotta' love the spelling of "compleat".

I read the book and began the process of changing my oil. On a VW Bug, you have to remove 5 bolts to get to a screen that acted like an oil filter and let the oil drain from there. There is no oil drain plug like a "regular" automobile.

The process takes a few minutes longer than a standard car but it's not a real pain at all and for a first timer, it was actually a rewarding experience.

That car died one day as I was driving to work... the engine caught fire. I'm assuming that a fuel line broke and spilled gas onto the hot engine. I stopped the car, grabbed a few things, hopped out and watched my 400.00 VW Beetle call it a day.

If that car was alive today it would be an antique classic for sure.

0 comments:

Post a Comment